Monday, June 29, 2009

Session 2 Sermon 9

What to Say to Your People

What to say to your people is a question that pastors ask a regular basis, a weekly if not daily basis. My mind was filled with various thoughts on what to share this week: the mundane in drought; from silence to proclamation; defining a power encounter; if the mountain could speak, the history of Mt. Carmel, etc.

 And so I sat down and started to prepare the sermon --- session 2, sermon nine --- and started to key my outline. But the problem was that my heart didn't connect to my mind and I was reminded of a conversation I had earlier in the day about Crimson House being a contemporary church. And so rather than force my way into a stylized sermon, I'm going to just share what's on my heart... and maybe it will just encompass all my previous thought.

 As we worked yesterday and the sweat saturated our shirts I thought how the mental state of Israel must have been with no rain for 3 1/2 years. I thought of just how tired this past heat wave has affected us, how it zaps our energy, frays our nerves, and seemingly makes life so much more difficult. I thought of your faithfulness, the congregation of Crimson House, entering into a place that's difficult to cool and yet still making the effort. I thought of God's goodness how that, by his grace, this day, Sunday, was one chosen for a relief as temperatures cooled following the early morning rain. In one way I felt it was done especially for us so we can worship tonight a bit more comfortable than we have the last few Sundays; and how it would give each one of you a much-needed break before starting another week doing battle with the "no-gods" of this world.

 What is a "no-god"? The Scriptures reveal that the gods of the nations are "no-gods": they are not realities in themselves; they are powerless to save their followers. In essence they are demons who manipulate the pagan god system and actually received homage paid to the "no-gods." You do battle with "no-gods" every day: the god of this world is a no-god, he has no power to save, he has no life, only death -- he came to steal and kill and destroy. The "no- gods" of enterprise, alluded to last week are alive and well in this world; the no gods of promiscuity; the no gods of mammoth, all desiring to bring drought to your very being. Thus, in essence we have a power encounter every day. Will I limp along, halted between two opinions, or will I stand alone. But then we're really not alone.

 Jesus said, " "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you" (John 14:18). And then, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (John 14:27).

 My peace - Such as I [Jesus] only can impart; the special peace which my religion is fitted to impart.
Not as the world -

1.      Not as the objects which men commonly pursue - pleasure, fame, wealth. They leave care, anxiety, remorse. They do not meet the desires of the immortal mind, and they are incapable of affording that peace which the soul needs.
2.      Not as the men of the world give. They salute you with empty and flattering words, but their professed friendship is often reigned and has no sincerity. You cannot be sure that they are sincere, but I am.
3.      Not as systems of philosophy and false religion give. They profess to give peace, but it is not real. It does not still the voice of conscience; it does not take away sin; it does not reconcile the soul to God.
4.      My peace is such as meets all the wants of the soul, silences the alarms of conscience, is fixed and sure amid all external changes, and will abide in the hour of death and forever. How desirable, in a world of anxiety and care, to possess this peace!

Think with me of His grace, think with me of His love, think with me of His care, think with me of His goodness...and give Him praise!

No comments: